Come Be Mighty
We Are The Mighty (WATM), the Modern Military Lifestyle Network, is seeking talented writers who are patriotic, pro-military, and pro-service. Our audience loves stories that tackle military culture, lifestyle, and humor from a smart and irreverent point of view. WATM supports the military community but avoids political commentary and mainstream news.
This is a great opportunity for students, aspiring creatives, military spouses, and part-time warriors and patriots who want to share their voice with millions of active duty service members, veterans, and their families every single day. Military service or connection is preferred but not required. We want writers who can stand out from the crowd with an authentic, military voice while writing Movie/Video Game Reviews, Financial Hacks, Fitness/Health Tips, Food/Drink Recipes (with a military twist or a focus on high-performing nutrition), and Gear Reviews.
Our preferred contributors are our audience. You lived with some connection to the military; now write about it. Here are some examples of the type of writing we love that we've published recently:
- Some veterans went balls out and made a 'Jurassic Park' fan film
- 6 ways to drink like a nearly-immortal American warrior
- How outrunning federal agents led to NASCAR racing
- 6 things geardos buy that are actually useful
- 9 examples of the military's dark humor
Our selection process is simple: work hard, play hard. You will be asked to pitch ideas that do well on social media and then write articles that are 800 words (or less) with minimal grammatical errors or inaccuracies. No hand-holding here.
This is a paid opportunity that offers you the ability to live wherever you want to live, work on your own schedule and get rewarded for your creativity. Candidates will be compensated for their work on a per-article basis, based on the length of assignment and level of research required.
Here's what you'll need to do well here:
- Advanced, thorough research skills.
- Writing skills; the ability to craft a narrative with minimal grammatical errors.
- Deep knowledge in specific entertainment genres, life skills, and niche interests, so we can assign you articles about topics on which you're an expert.
- A hard-working attitude.
If this sounds exciting, here's what we need from you:
- Apply here at this link — you'll need to provide your resume and a cover letter giving color/examples of how you meet and exceed the qualifications listed above. And yes, we will read your letter, so be relevant, real, or really funny.
- One writing sample (800 words or less) that is relevant to this job description.
- List of topics you're interested in writing about. We're not just looking for military interests; be as broad as possible. We're always looking for writers that have unique interests.
- A look at your availability. We are only looking for freelancers who have enough time to turn in no fewer than 5 assignments per week.
Launched in 2014, We Are The Mighty was created to give military-veterans a voice to tell the most authentic, entertaining, and inspirational stories about the military and by the military. We are the premier destination for those who believe in military service.
We are dedicated to the people who serve, the tools they use, and the impact they've made on the world. We aim to please with stories that are funny, entertaining, inspiring, exciting, meaningful, and powerful — that is what our audience has come to expect and we deliver these stories daily on our platforms, with proof in our metrics and engagement numbers. As the Modern Military Lifestyle Network, we turn that depth of knowledge and proof of concept into television shows, films, digital shorts, podcasts, and events.
To create authentic, entertaining content unique to the military community as a way to connect service members, share their memories, reflect on their service and honor those who serve us every day.