Military working dogs are paired with handlers and these dynamic duos move around military bases and battlefields, searching out explosives, protecting patrols, and hunting down fugitives.
Here are 15 photos of the furry, four-legged troops:
1. Military working dogs are heroes to troops around the world.
2. They can move quickly across the battlefield and through obstacles.
3. They have a reputation for being vicious when the need arises.
4. It’s a well-earned reputation.
5. But the dogs are only following orders.
6. They’d much rather play or hang out.
7. The canines require a lot of exercise.
8. Military working dog handlers have to make sure the dogs get time to run and work out.
9. Obstacle courses allow for unique challenges.
10. The K9s usually have a few toys that are used as rewards for completing work and doing a good job.
11. The dogs are employed protecting patrols, searching out bad guys, and detecting explosives or narcotics.
12. Military working dogs are an important part of military security.
13. Overseas the dogs are kept with their handler and the team can be medevaced if either member is hurt or sick.
14. The dogs generally ride out on special harnesses that allow them to stick with a human.