15 quotes from Gen. Mad Dog' Mattis, slayer of bodies (Updated)
Multiple news outlets are reporting that retired Marine Gen. James Mattis is a strong contender to take on the role of Secretary of Defense in a Donald Trump administration.
Mattis is a favored military leader among Marines (and many throughout the military), who view him as gutsy, battle-proven general who tells it like it is. Mattis reportedly met with President-elect Trump at the real estate mogul's New Jersey golf club Nov. 19 to discuss his potential role at Pentagon chief.
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis, who is being considered for Secretary of Defense, was very impressive yesterday. A true General's General!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 20, 2016
Marine Corps Gen. James "Mad Dog" Mattis is known for his aggressive tactics and his even more aggressive quotes.
While he embraced counter-insurgency tactics with the rest of the military, his quotes put a decidedly lethal spin on "low-intensity combat." Check out these 15 great Mattis quotes — but be warned... they'll make you want to charge into hordes of America's enemies with nothing but a Ka-Bar:
1. "The first time you blow someone away is not an insignificant event. That said, there are some a-sholes in the world that just need to be shot." (America and Iraq: Policy-making, Intervention and Regional Politics)
Photo: U.S. Marine Corps
2. "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f-ck with me, I'll kill you all." (Slate)
3. "I'm going to plead with you, do not cross us. Because if you do, the survivors will write about what we do here for 10,000 years."
4. "Fight with a happy heart and strong spirit ... Demonstrate to the world there is no better friend, no worse enemy than a U.S. Marine." (Letter from Mattis to his troops just before the Iraq invasion)
5. "I don't get intelligence off a satellite. Iraqis tell me who the enemy is." (Press conference in Iraq via National Review)
(Photo: U.S. Department of Defense Erin A. Kirk)
6. "Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact."
7. "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."
8. "Be the hunter, not the hunted: never allow your unit to be caught with its guard down." (Letter from Mattis to his troops just before the Iraq invasion)
9. "The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears."
(Photo: U.S. Navy Chief Mass Communication Specialist Eric A. Clement)
10. "You are part of the world's most feared and trusted force. Engage your brain before you engage your weapon." (Letter from Mattis to his troops just before the Iraq invasion)
11. "There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim." (Told to troops at Al Asad, Iraq)
12. "No war is over until the enemy says it's over. We may think it over, we may declare it over, but in fact, the enemy gets a vote."
(Photo: U.S. Navy Chief Mass Communications Specialist Shawn P. Eklund)