These 10 photos and GIFs show how paratroopers are made
U.S. Army paratroopers are soldiers dropped behind enemy lines to capture airfields, destroy defenses, and kill hostile forces quickly. All Airborne soldiers go through school at Fort Benning, Georgia where training cadre with the 1st Battalion, 507th Parachute Infantry Regiment, teach them how to jump.
1. Learning to fall to the ground without breaking bones is a crucial airborne skill.
2. Soldiers practice how to properly jump from a plane in “mock doors” that simulate aircraft. Failing to get a strong exit on a real jump can result in the paratrooper getting slammed against the side of the aircraft.
3. Fall training progresses through different levels as troops learn how to hit the ground regardless of the wind direction.
4. Aspiring paratroopers are sent to a 34-foot tall tower to practice their exits (and to get over any fear of falling they might have).
5. At first, the soldiers jump one at a time, but they progress to jumping in groups of four.
6. Around this same time, students meet the Swing Landing Trainer where they practice landing hard on the gravel pits.
7. This prepares them for the 250-foot towers where they get their first chance to fall hundreds of feet under an actual parachute.
8. Then, it’s on to Jump Week when they finally board an aircraft and get into the sky.
9. The students have to do five jumps from a plane at approximately 1,250 feet to graduate the course.
10. Once they do, they’ll be awarded their Silver Wings and be able to call themselves paratroopers.
This Halloween-themed bomb was as dumb as it sounds
Still a few years out from the Manhattan Project being completed, a dentist / mad scientist came up with a disastrous and inhumane plan — the "bat bomb."
These are the contenders flying off to replace the A-10
Four planes are flying off for the chance to try to replace the beloved A-10 Thunderbolt. Here's how they hold up.
This was a major problem with the South Vietnamese army
"Be glad to trade you some ARVN rifles. Ain't never been fired and only dropped once." — Cowboy from "Full Metal Jacket."
9 reasons why you should have joined the Army instead
The only down side is knowing that when you get out, you will never be as cool as you were when you were doing "Hooah things" with your boys.
7 things all troops should know before becoming a sniper
With Hollywood tapping into the sniper lifestyle with films like "American Sniper," many young troops get a misconception what it's like to be one.
The first home-built Japanese supersonic fighter was a ship-killer
The Mitsubishi F-1 was designed to carry out the maritime strike mission, but also could carry AIM-9 Sidewinders.
This is why Bowe Bergdahl says he plead guilty
US Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, held captive by the Taliban for five years after walking off his post in Afghanistan, is expected to plead guilty.
Say hello to America's newest 40mm grenade machine gun
The Mk-47 Mod 0 Advanced Grenade Launcher takes the auto 40 mike-mike to a whole new level.
10 craptastic Halloween costumes completely out of regulations
It's that time of year again! Halloween parties are being planned and folks who wouldn't hack it in the real military pick up cheap ass costumes.