Top Gear Russia magazine accidentally published an image of a secret Russian submarine.
The Russian edition of the automobile magazine published a photo of the classified “AC-12 Project,” a nuclear deep-water submarine, nicknamed “Losharik” after a children’s movie.
This was first reported by the unofficial blog of the Center for Analysis of Strategies and Technologies and picked up by Slon Media, which reached out to an expert for commentary.
Weapons expert Vasiliy Sichev told Slon that it’s extremely likely that this is the secret submarine. He told the site:
“It’s impossible to unequivocally say that the picture was really the AC-12, of course, because the project is classified and how the ‘Losharik’ looks is technically unknown. However, photos which were allegedly of ‘Losharik’ surfaced in 2007, 2010, and 2011, and they had a lot of similarities with the one in Top Gear.”
Russia is in the midst of a serious military buildup. Among other things, the Russian military is upgrading its navy and by 2020 is hoping to add at least 16 new nuclear submarines to its Northern and Pacific fleets.
Here’s the whole page from the magazine:
Photo: Top Gear Русская версия
Also from Business Insider:
- 15 Unbelievable Facts About Russia
- 2015 Could Be The Year We Witness The ‘Weaponization Of Finance‘
- 15 Mind-Blowing Facts About Saudi Arabia
- This Damning Book Offers Little Hope For The Future Of Afghanistan
- The Navy SEAL Who Wrote The Book About The Bin Laden Raid Is Under Criminal Investigation