Over the past few days, you've been collecting exit signatures for your check-out sheet, and low and behold, you're almost home. The process has been relatively straightforward up until this point.
The last item you need to get signed off is from the Central Issue Facility, or supply, where you need to check in all of your gear. Supply is one of the last stops a service member makes before obtaining their official DD-214.
Sounds easy enough, right?
Wrong. If one aspect of your gear is not check-in ready, integrating back into civilian population will be delayed.
So check out our list of what it typically takes to check in your gear and move on with your life.
(This is based on many true stories)
1. What it looks like when you're on your way to the central issue on a Friday afternoon.Oh, come on. (Images via Giphy)
2.When you walk inside and all you see are other troops waiting in a long a** line.There's too many to count. (Images via Giphy)
3. To add insult to injury, everyone who works there looks slow and grumpy.Why do I hate life? (Images via Giphy)
4. After waiting what felt like an eternity, you finally haul your heavy gear over to the counter and begin the checkout process.So heavy. (Images via Giphy)
5. You make it to the counter, and just as your morale has been boosted, you realized you're at the slowest worker's section.Please, hurry the f*ck up! (Images via Giphy)
6. The clerk starts to review all your gear, pulling everything out piece-by-piece — most of which you never used.And we mean most things. (Images via Giphy)
7. After completing the inventory, the clerk finds an issue with your almost squared away paperwork. All of your gear is clean enough to pass, but there's a missing signature.No way freakin' way. (Images via Giphy)
8. Your superior officer's signature is missing for an expensive piece of gear which got destroyed while you were deployed. The clerk informs you that you can either pay for it yourself or get the signature before you can get out of the military.
You can't believe what you're hearing.I ain't paying for sh*t. (Images via Giphy)
9. You speed back to your company HQ to find your CO.Pedal to the metal. (Images via Giphy)
10. You dash into the HQ in search of the man or woman who can set you free.Where are they? (Images via Giphy)
11. You find your superior, he or she signs the paperwork and then your emotions take over.This may be wrong but it feels right. (Images via Giphy)
12. Now that you got your signature, it's time to head back to central issue.Almost to the finish line. (Images via Giphy)
13. You get back the central issue building and attempt to eyeball the person who helped you earlier to avoid waiting in line again.Look at me. (Images via Giphy)
15. It worked. The clerk spots you and waves you over. You hand her the signed paperwork, she looks it over and now you wait.The anticipation grows. (Images via Giphy)
16. The clerk slowly stamps your paperwork. You're clear.You want to get mad, but you can't at this point. (Images via Giphy)
17. You did it! Now go get your DD-214 and move on with your life.Five years of college here I come. (Images via Giphy)