Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Play | Stitcher | Spotify
Firearms technology has advanced by leaps and bounds over the last 20 years. While civilians and law enforcement have taken advantage of new designs, the military hasn’t been as quick to adjust.
In this episode of the We Are The Mighty podcast we discuss the military’s plans to find a pistol replacement, the role of today’s battle rifles, and why ammo matters.
- Blake Stilwell: Air Force veteran and Managing Editor
- Tracy Woodward: Benevolent smartass and Social Media coordinator
- Orvelin Valle (AKA O.V.): Navy veteran and Podcast Producer
- Christian Lowe: Executive Editor at We Are The Mighty
- Christian is a veteran reporter and digital editor with nearly 20 years of experience covering the U.S. military at home and abroad. He deployed six times to Iraq and Afghanistan as an embedded reporter and has covered all the services in the conflict zone, on base and in halls of Capitol Hill and the Pentagon. Christian worked previously at Army Times and Military.com as well as a stint in the firearms industry as Editor in Chief of Shooting Sports Retailer and Tactical Retailer magazines. He’s a competitor in IDPA, USPSA and 3-Gun Nation.
Selected links and show notes from the episode:
- The U.S. Army just picked up this sniper rifle
- Marine Corps finally adopts the M4 as its main rifle
- The U.S. military’s pistol will likely be replaced by one of these guns
- Why the M14 sucks
- Army moves ahead with pistol program despite chief’s pushback
- This popular battle rifle was actually designed to arm clerks and cooks
- It’s not the Beretta M9 that sucks, it’s the ammo
- [04:20] Why the 1911 is not a viable sidearm replacement for the military.
- [07:35] Larry Vickers of Vickers Tactical: Former Delta Force soldier, trainer, and consultant.
- Vickers Tactical on YouTube
- [10:25] Why the Sig Sauer P320 is a favorite to win the XM17 handgun program
- [11:00] Why the U.S. military is looking at options for replacing the decades-old Beretta M9 handgun.
- [17:10] Army Chief: You want a new pistol? Send me to Cabela’s with $17 million
- [20:00] The Marine Corps adoption of the M4 rifle and what it means to the corps.
- [22:40] The controversy around the M14 battle rifle.
- [26:30] Why the type of ammunition you use matters.
Music licensed by Jingle Punks:
- Off Switch
- Downtown Dollar