From the moment a recruit arrives at basic training they're called some pretty inventive names — and the abuse won't stop for at least 12-weeks.
They can be the strongest or fastest in their platoon, but their drill instructors will still find a reason to yell at them to try to break them down — it's just the way it goes.
The DI's evil personality will usually drive recruits to resentment.
Since the military is smaller than most people think, it's possible to run into your former drill instructor months or even years after you graduated boot camp.
Check out what many young troops go through when they see their DI for the first time outside of boot camp.
1. When you're now an E-3, and you think you're the sh*t walking into the PX on a Saturday afternoon.Somebody point me to the X-box games — or else. (Image via Giphy)
2. That look you give when you spot your former DI checking out DVDs with these little kids who appear to be mini versions of them.WTF! They don't live at boot camp? (Image via Giphy)
3. When they look over in your direction and you pretend you didn't see them.You can't see me. (Image via Giphy)
4. After a few moments of hiding, you decide to casually walk over in their direction — hoping they spot you.You just ease your way over. (Image via Giphy)
5. Once you get close enough, you pretend you're doing something important or in deep thought to get them to notice you.Yup, you look real freakin' important now. (Image via Giphy)
6. You then attempt to make eye contact with them.I command you to look at me. (Image via Giphy)
7. Your former DI starts to take notice of your subtle eye contact.Who the f*ck is this person looking at? (Image via Giphy)
8. They finally semi-recognized you, but you act surprised like you didn't recognize their face the moment you saw them checking out those adorable family fun genre DVDs.Sergeant? Wow, I barely recognized you since I'm so mature these days. (Image via Giphy)
9. You start up a meaningless conversation with them. You show off how well you're doing with your new unit.What a show-off. (Image via Giphy)
10. But they congratulate you and even shake your hand before walking away. You're more confused now than ever.What just happened here? (Image via Giphy)
11. Then you realize, this whole time you thought they were an a**hole, but they weren't.Unreal. (Image via Giphy)
Did you ever see your instructor outside of boot camp? Tell us your story in the comments below.