Infantrymen train countless hours on immediate action drills, patrolling techniques and room clearing during their pre-deployment work up. The goal for every successful combat pump is to complete the mission and get your a** home safe.
While on a combat deployment, you made some epic memories — some good and some bad.
But one memory you’ll probably never forget is that first time you took enemy contact.
Check out what many young troops go through during their first firefight.
1. After traveling for the past few weeks to get to your FOB, your platoon sergeant announces the squad’s first patrol heads out at first light — which is one hour from now.
The time has finally come. (Images via Giphy)
2. You head to your berthing area to “gear prep and check.”
Let’s rock this sh*t. (Images via Giphy)
3. What it felt like putting on all your tactical gear for the real thing.
He put on a pearl necklace. That’s classic. (Images via Giphy)
4. That badass feeling you had when you left the wire for the first time with your fireteam.
We’re here to chew bubble gum and f*ck sh*t up. (Images via Giphy)
5. How absolutely alert you were after every step you took.
You’re not getting me today ISIS. (Images via Giphy)
6. After several hours of patrolling with nothing cool happening — you’re freaking drained.
You were all worked up for nothing. (Images via Giphy)
7. Then, it finally happened. Crack! Snap! The enemy is finally engaging you, and it’s time to get your fireteam into the game.
Getting your teammates on the same page is vital. (Images via Giphy)
8. Now that you handled all that, it’s time to fire off some rounds.
You wish you were that tough. (Images via Giphy)
9. After gaining a solid visual on the bad guy’s position, you jumped on your comm gear and called in a mortar strike.
Don’t worry, your mortarmen were much better than these dudes. (Images via Giphy)
10. You felt like a beast when your mortar strike hits without having to make an adjustment.
Bad ass. (Images via Giphy)
11. Then, a few enemy rounds zip past your head.
You didn’t expect that, but now you’re really pissed off. (Images via Giphy)
12. You order your fire team to open fire!
Take that you filthy sons-of-b*tches! (Images via Images)
13. When the bad guys pull-back because they can’t handle your fire superiority.
They can’t handle us. (Image via Giphy)
14. How accomplished and patriotic you felt after kickin’ their a**.
Semper Fi. (Images via Giphy)