Marine Corps Gen. James "Mad Dog" Mattis is known for his aggressive tactics and his even more aggressive quotes.
While he embraced counter-insurgency tactics with the rest of the military, his quotes put a decidedly lethal spin on "low-intensity combat." Check out these 15 great Mattis quotes — but be warned... they'll make you want to charge into hordes of America's enemies with nothing but a Ka-Bar:
1. "The first time you blow someone away is not an insignificant event. That said, there are some a-sholes in the world that just need to be shot." (America and Iraq: Policy-making, Intervention and Regional Politics)
2. "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f-ck with me, I'll kill you all." (Slate)
3. "I'm going to plead with you, do not cross us. Because if you do, the survivors will write about what we do here for 10,000 years."
4. "Fight with a happy heart and strong spirit ... Demonstrate to the world there is no better friend, no worse enemy than a U.S. Marine." (Letter from Mattis to his troops just before the Iraq invasion)
5. "I don't get intelligence off a satellite. Iraqis tell me who the enemy is." (Press conference in Iraq via National Review)
6. "Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact."
7. "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."
8. "Be the hunter, not the hunted: never allow your unit to be caught with its guard down." (Letter from Mattis to his troops just before the Iraq invasion)
9. "The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears."
10. "You are part of the world's most feared and trusted force. Engage your brain before you engage your weapon." (Letter from Mattis to his troops just before the Iraq invasion)
11. "There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim." (Told to troops at Al Asad, Iraq)
12. "No war is over until the enemy says it's over. We may think it over, we may declare it over, but in fact, the enemy gets a vote."
13. "There is nothing better than getting shot at and missed. It's really great."
14. "You cannot allow any of your people to avoid the brutal facts. If they start living in a dream world, it's going to be bad."
15. "You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn't wear a veil. You know, guys like that ain't got no manhood left anyway. So it's a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them. Actually it's quite fun to fight them, you know. It's a hell of a hoot. It's fun to shoot some people. I'll be right up there with you. I like brawling." (Said during a panel discussion in San Diego, via CNN)