We're hoping the top leaders in your unit don't have your cellphone number, but if they do, the text messages you may someday receive probably won't be fun to read.
There's a way of gauging the level of trouble you're in by the person who contacts you about your offense. The first and less severe level is your shop LPO (Leading Petty Officer). The second level is your chief and the third and most severe level is your Command Master Chief, also known as the CMC.
It's never a good thing if your CMC skipped this chain to contact you directly. Here are nine text messages you'll dread receiving from master chief:
1. Why is your liberty buddy in my office and you're not?
You and your buddy submitted liberty plans agreeing to watch over each other during the weekend. Now you're at your girlfriend's place wondering what kind of trouble your buddy has gotten both of you in.
2. It's called Cinderella liberty for a reason shipmate. WHERE THE F--K ARE YOU?!
Cinderella liberty means that you have to be on the ship by midnight. You haven't earned overnight liberty at your new command. Do you play the new guy card and say you got lost or do you stay out all night and live it up while you can?
3. You better be dead, hurt or kidnapped. There's no excuse for missing ship's movement.
The CMC is right, there's no excuse for missing ship's movement. It had better been worth it, don't expect to go on liberty for a long time.
4. Last minute change, your duty section is doing load-in tomorrow. Muster time is 0600.
The CMC doesn't actually believe you're sober on the last night before pulling out to sea. But he's the CMC, so whatever he says, goes. Stop drinking now and prepare for a full day of intensive labor.
5. I'm not approving this marriage chit until I talk to you.
But CMC, I love this woman. I know she's a little older, and her English isn't great, but I think it's time. We've been dating for six months.
6. I need to talk to you about chief's Captain's Mast tomorrow. Come to my office.
Do you comply with the CMC and lie at Captain's Mast or do you throw him and the chief under the bus?
7. I just got a call from the MAs. Your entire shop is being accused of hazing the new guy.
Hazing is an egregious offense in today's Navy. You and your shop will be the example for what not to do for years to come.
8. I just got a call from security. Your duty driver was in a wreck and he was drunk.
You've just lost your duty section leadership position. In the CMC's mind, that idiot is a direct reflection of your leadership.