Top 9 jokes from Vice President Biden's Naval Academy commencement speech
Vice President Joe Biden is widely regarded as a good guy who's quick with a joke (and capable of committing the occasional gaffe, much to the media's delight). And he was true to form as he addressed the United States Naval Academy Class of 2015 at their commissioning ceremony in Annapolis on May 22. Along with hitting the high points of what the nation expects of them going forward (no sexual harassment!) he kept them (and their families and friends surrounding them in the stands of Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium) in stitches with a string of rapid-fire one liners. Here are the top 9 among them (in the order that they were delivered):
1. "[Virginia] Governor [Terry] McCaullife, congratulations to your son Jack – top 10 percent, honor committee, captain of the rugby team. Terry, are you sure he's your son? I don't know. He's a talented young man."
2. "[Chief of Naval Operations] Admiral Greenert is always nice to me in spite of the fact I live in his house. The Vice President's home is known as "NavOps." It's 79 beautiful acres sitting on the highest point in Washington. It used to be the CNO's home. The Navy runs it, and I live there, and he still speaks to me. And I appreciate it."
3."On the one hand you've been subjected to unflattering haircuts. On the other hand you get to wear dress whites."
4. "You spent your summers abroad on real ships rather than internships."
5. Referring to the fact that all USNA grads automatically have jobs (in the Navy or Marine Corps) upon graduating: "The specter of living in your parents' basement come graduation day is not likely to be your greatest concern . . . and that's true across the board, even for you history and English majors."
6. Referring to the fact that Navy has beat Army in football 13 years in a row: "When we go to the Army-Navy game it's a devastating thing to sit next to my son [an Army officer]."
7. "Back in 1845, the Secretary of the Navy's name was Bancroft, and he chose [Annapolis] for its seclusion – seclusion from temptation and the distractions of the big city. I wonder what he would have done had he known about McGreevey's (editor's note: the actual bar's name is McGarvey's), O'Briens, and Armadillos. I doubt he would have picked this place."
8. "For all those on restriction, don't worry. John McCain and I can tell you it's never gotten in the way of real talent."
9. Referring to the fact that midshipmen get a tuition-free education: "Usually when I address graduating classes I tell the parents "congratulations, you're about to get a pay raise," but you said that four years ago."
WATM congratulates USNA's Class of 2015 (along with the graduates of all service academies and ROTC units nationwide). Welcome to the fleet, shipmates.