16 awesome photos of the Apache helicopter
Apache attack helicopters are like flying dinosaurs. They’re ugly, misshapen, and deadly as hell. Here are 16 photos of this awesome airframe in action:
1. Armed Apaches conduct a reconnaissance flight to look for RPGs and mortars in Baghdad, Iraq, in 2007.
2. Troops preparing for deployment conduct an exercise with the helicopter at Grafenwoehr Training Area, Germany.
3. A U.S. Army Apache flies over the desert near Mosul, Iraq.
4. A U.S. Army captain rides on the outside of an AH-64 during an extraction exercise. (This method is used to rescue downed aircrews.)
5. The first AH-64E deployed to Hawaii is given a traditional Hawaiian blessing before the Rim of the Pacific exercise in 2014.
6. An Apache flies from the HMS Ocean, an amphibious assault ship of the British Navy.
7. A British Army Air Corps AH-64D helicopter fires on insurgents in Afghanistan in 2007.
8. An Apache attack helicopter takes off from Balad Air Base, Iraq for a mission.
9. British Royal Marines ride out of an insurgent-held compound on the helicopter after rescuing a wounded marine trapped there.
READ MORE: That time 4 Royal Marines strapped themselves to attack helicopters and rode into a Taliban compound >
10. An Apache flies escort as soldiers move on Fallujah, Iraq.
10. A helicopter undergoes maintenance on Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan as the sun sets.
11. An Apache fires during an exercise with a Georgia National Guard infantry brigade.
12. At the National Training Center at Fort Irwin, California, an AH-64D hovers over friendly troops.
13. One of the attack helicopters prepares to depart a base in Afghanistan for a security and reconnaissance mission.
14. An aircrew engages targets during an exercise at Fort Irwin, California’s National Training Center.
15. An AH-64D flies in front of the sun at Grafenwoehr Training Area, Germany.
16. An Apache at rest will remain at rest until it’s time to kill something.
These are the military traditions for deployed troops celebrating Thanksgiving
While you're deployed, weekends aren't really a thing — neither are most holidays. Thanksgiving, however, is a moment when the military slows down.
Forget multitasking, this Navy squadron has only one mission — rescue people
The Navy has an entire squadron for search and rescue, and it is the only squadron in the Navy that has an advance life-support helicopter platform.
How the Coast Guard intercepts half a million pounds of cocaine
For the last couple decades, the Coast Guard has pushed out further, taking more aggressive stabs at the flow of drugs that make their way into the U.S.
More remains of Special Forces soldier found in Niger
The Department of Defense announced that military investigators found additional remains that they have positively ID'd as Sgt. La David T. Johnson.
'Butcher of of Bosnia' sentenced to life in prison for genocide
"The Butcher of Bosnia" was handed a life sentence on November 22nd, 2017, for war crimes and the slaughter of 8,000 men and young children.
New engravings on the USMC War Memorial honor Iraq and Afghanistan Marines
On Nov. 22, the U.S. Marine Corps War Memorial was updated to include Afghanistan and Iraq in the list of campaigns that runs along the memorial's base.
ISIS may focus on a virtual caliphate after losing real-world war
As the Islamic State loses the in real life war they've waged against the world, they've moved their game online- waging war in the virtual world.
Everything you need to know about Zimbabwe's ousted dictator
The dictator of Zimbabwe announced his resignation on Nov. 21, 2017 after the county's army took of the capital and family, forcing the resignation.
Watch this Marine get pinned by his 3-year-old son
Watch this adorable little boy steal into the hearts of all the Marines and civilians present as he promotes his dad and pins on his promoted rank.