We greet superior officers, pay homage to the American flag, and show respect to fallen comrades by rendering the powerful, non-verbal gesture known as the hand salute.
Though there’s no real written record of how or where the worldwide tradition started, saluting dates back in history to a time when troops would raise their right hand (their weapon hand) as a signal of friendship.
Today, recruits learn how to properly hand salute in boot camp and demonstrate the act countless times before heading out to active service. After a while, muscle memory kicks in and the gesture becomes second nature. But many civilians use the salute as a form of celebration — and they get it so, so wrong.
1. When Michael Cutler, son of a truck-driving arm wrestler, returns home from military school. (Over the Top)
2. That time Cousin Eddie felt super patriotic during Christmas. (National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation)
3. Some dude watching wrestling and drinking a beer. (USA Network)
4. After that former TV president gave a motivational speech. (House of Cards)
5. No clue where this is from, but it’s funny as hell.
6. When that little kid who turned out to be Darth Vader found out his dad was into superhero cosplay. (Jingle All the Way)
7. An unsat salute from a guy who once played a Marine in a movie. (Some award show on MTV)
8. So, we’re not exactly sure what she was trying to accomplish with her initial type of salute… but at least she ended it with a solid pointing performance.
9. At least Ms. Kaushtupper correctly mounted the American flag on the wall… (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt)
10. Even though his salute is off, it’s still pretty funny. (M*A*S*H)
11. There’s nothing wrong with this troop’s salute, but Dmitry Medvedev epically failed.