The 12 best quotes from 'Apocalypse Now'
The Vietnam-war classic from Francis Ford Coppola yields a number of classic lines that fans can quote at will, from Kilgore’s comments about napalm to an intelligence officer’s use of the phrase “with extreme prejudice.”
These are WATM’s picks for the top 12 quotes from the 1979 film.
1. Col. Kilgore: “I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn’t find one of ’em, not one stinkin’ dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like … victory.”
2. Capt. Willard: “Saigon… sh-t. I’m still only in Saigon.”
3. Col. Kilgore: “Someday this war’s gonna end.”
4. Capt. Willard: “Terminate the Colonel?”
Civilian intelligence official: ” … Terminate with extreme prejudice.”
5. Capt. Willard: “Oh man… the bullsh-t piled up so fast in Vietnam, you needed wings to stay above it.”
6. Capt. Willard: “Charging a man with murder in this place was like handing out speeding tickets in the Indy 500.”
7. Capt. Willard: “‘Never get out of the boat.’ Absolutely goddamn right! Unless you were goin’ all the way… Kurtz got off the boat. He split from the whole f–kin’ program.”
8. Col. Kilgore: “If I say its safe to surf this beach, Captain, then its safe to surf this beach!”
9. Chef: “I just wanted to learn to f–kin’ cook, man!”
10. Capt. Willard: “Who’s the commanding officer here?”
Soldier: “Ain’t you?”
11. Col. Kilgore: “Charlie don’t surf!”
12. Col. Kurtz: “The horror … the horror.”
A Vietnam veteran returned a library book after 52 years
A Marine deployed to a recon battalion in Vietnam wanted a perspective on the locals. So he checked a book out from the base library... for half a century.
This musician made a music video with the SEAL who killed bin Laden
Tim Montana is a musician with a “rip-roaring, swamp’rockin’ vibe” — and he’s just getting started. The coolest thing about him? He loves helping vets.
This is what the Army's 'Iron Men of Metz' and Attila the Hun have in common
The Iron Men of Metz did what only Attila the Hun could do some 1,500 years before: capture the heavily fortified city of Metz and force the enemy out.
5 terribly hilarious gifts to scuff up a basic trainee
Why not show that you truly care about your young recruit by also helping their trainers mess with them? Get in on the fun! Be creative.
The MARSOC driving course is not like your typical day at the DMV
These Marines continuously train to keep their skills sharp and take pride in being the best at all ends of the spectrum — including tactical driving.
7 more phrases old school veterans can't stop saying — and we love it
We love our old-school veterans that don't have a problem speaking their minds. They have some humorous sayings that we still use to this day.
This Army nurse's epic fight for a memorial for women Vietnam veterans
Some 11,000 women served in Vietnam, many as nurses and many under hostile fire. They had to fight to have their memorial built on the National Mall.
5 tips to prepare potential boots to join the military
No matter which branch you're thinking of joining, these mental and physical tips will help you be ready for when you're staring at a smoky bear hat.
6 reasons the Air Force wants to get its hands on Russian DNA
Ankle bone connected to the shin bone, shin bone connected to the knee bone, knee bone connected to a Russian, Air Force wants to get his genome.