This infographic shows how the machine gun revolutionized World War I combat
WWI was one of the first truly modern conflicts. Fought mainly along trenches, the war saw the introduction of chemical weapons, tanks, and aerial combat.
Thought of as the war to end war, over 9 million soldiers were killed in the conflict and 21 million were injured. These casualties were largely helped along by the war being the first to feature widespread use of machine guns.
The following graphic, from Norwich University’s Online Masters in Military History program, shows the destructive impact and history of the machine gun on the war.
THE MIGHTY SURVEY GIVE-AWAY
We want to hear your thoughts. Complete our survey for a chance to win 1 of 5 gaming consoles
- 100 years ago, the real-life Lawrence of Arabia authored a leadership pamphlet full of insights that are still useful today
- The US Navy is getting a 'game-changing' upgrade that could turn the tables on China and Russia
- A van plowed into dozens of people on a tourist-heavy street in Barcelona — suspect in custody, multiple fatalities reported
- These photos of the border between North and South Korea show just how disastrous a nuclear strike could be
- US kills 7 al Shabaab fighters in Somalia air strike
- The US-North Korean crisis will face a major test on Monday as Kim Jong Un holds his fire on Guam
Follow @BusinessInsider on Twitter .