This infographic shows how the machine gun revolutionized World War I combat
WWI was one of the first truly modern conflicts. Fought mainly along trenches, the war saw the introduction of chemical weapons, tanks, and aerial combat.
Thought of as the war to end war, over 9 million soldiers were killed in the conflict and 21 million were injured. These casualties were largely helped along by the war being the first to feature widespread use of machine guns.
The following graphic, from Norwich University’s Online Masters in Military History program, shows the destructive impact and history of the machine gun on the war.
- Overseas troops won't be able to watch the NFL playoffs — and more — because of the government shutdown
- Turkey launches massive air and ground campaign on US-backed Kurds in Syria
- The government shutdown will mean big changes for military members and veterans
- From playing in trucks to putting 'America First': The 40 most memorable photos from Trump's wild first year in office
- Former CIA officer suspected of passing intel to China may have also jeopardized US assets in Russia