6 reasons why 'Platoon' should have been about Sgt. Barnes
There are so many war movies out there, but few come from the direct perspective of a man who personally lived through the hell that was Vietnam.
Critically acclaimed writer-director Oliver Stone (an Army veteran) took audiences into the highly political time in American history where the Vietnam war was strongly opposed in his film Platoon.
Although the film was excellent, did you ever wonder how different it would have been if Sgt. Barnes — the film's villain — was the star?
Well, we did and here are six reasons why we think the movie should have been about him.
6. We would have gotten the back story on how he got his epic scar. Just look at that thing and tell us you don't want to know more about it. Is it from a hand grenade or did he knife fight someone or what?
We're betting it's from a gunshot wound. (Source: Orion)
5. Remember when he shot that woman? We're not condoning executions, but seeing Sgt. Barnes interrogation methods a few more times could have been cool.
This interrogation scene was power. (Source: Orion)
4. Besides the scene where Barnes threatens Chris with that cool looking blade, that knife doesn't make another appearance. If that film were about him, we probably would have seen Barnes use in on the enemy troops once or twice in hand-to-hand combat.
You could slice and dice the enemy with this sharp and badass looking blade — no problem. (Source: Orion)
3. Pvt. Taylor (Charlie Sheen) would have just been a whiny boot replacement — which he was in the beginning — that no one cares about since the film would have been in Barnes' perspective.
You just murdered the star of our fictional version of the film — you better cry. (Source: Orion)
2. Sgt. Barnes is a pretty lethal killer, but we could've gotten a glimpse of what made him that way. Although we discussed his epic scar earlier, it would be cool to get a flashback or two focusing on some of this bloody missions he was on before Taylor showed up.
You know those eyes have seen some sh*t. (Source: Orion)
1. Barnes would have eventually snapped and put his non-alpha male platoon leader Lt. Wolfe in his place — and audiences would have loved to see that sh*t go down.
It's about to go down — if the movie was about Barnes. (Source: Orion)
Can you think of any more? Comment below.