These are the best military movies by service branch
In this episode of the Mandatory Fun podcast, Blake, Tim, and O.V. talk with stand-up comedian and Marine veteran Mitch Burrow about what their favorite military movies are broken down by branch.
Everyone loves to watch movies from all genres. Veterans and service members have a unique connection to military films for various reasons other than great characters and storylines.
In this episode, we talk on a wide-range of topics including:
- [0:55] Mitch humorously plugs Monster energy drink for sponsorship and advises how to avoid drinking sip cans on accident.
- [4:10] Who was more badass? Maverick or Iceman from "Top Gun."
- [4:37] What scene in "Top Gun" made Mitch go straight to Mach-3 and our favorite Navy movies.
- [6:30] Our take on the only thing the film "Hurt Locker" got right.
- [11:30] Whic Army movies are considered our all-time favs. But not Army movies in Vietnam like Blake tried to get us to talk about.
- [15:11] We create the perfect list of Marine Corps movies that are freaking epic.
- [21:00] How awesome "Generation Kill" is and if you haven't watched it you're wrong.
- [23:24] How difficult it was to watch and finish "Jarhead 2." Long story short, it was tough.
- [25:15] What we loved the most from "Heartbreak Ridge."
- [28:00] The best Air Force movies ever made.
- [30:30] Then lastly, we funnel in our short list of favorite Coast Guard films.
- Blake Stilwell: Air Force veteran and Managing Editor
- Tim Kirkpatrick: Navy veteran and Editorial Coordinator
- Orvelin Valle (AKA O.V.): Navy veteran and Podcast Producer
With guest host Mitch Burrow:
Mitch is a Marine Corps veteran that served in Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003. He then started a career in manufacturing before realizing that it sucked. Now, Mitch has found his true calling in acting silly on a stage in front of strangers on a nightly basis. To follow Mitch or check out one of his shows visit his website: Mitchburrow.com.