The 16 greatest quotes from 'Full Metal Jacket'
Some movies are more quotable than others, and Stanley Kubrick's classic "Full Metal Jacket" certainly fits that bill.
Last year, WATM compiled its list of the 32 best military movie quotes of all time, but once we got to "Full Metal Jacket," we realized it was hard to pick just one, since Gunnery Sgt. Hartman is basically a quote goldmine.
Here are our picks for the 16 best quotes (or series of quotes) from "Full Metal Jacket."
1. Gunnery Sgt. Hartman: "I am Gunnery Sgt. Hartman, your senior drill instructor. From now on you will speak only when spoken to, and the first and last words out of your filthy sewers will be 'Sir.' Do you maggots understand that?"
2. Gunnery Sgt. Hartman: "Bullsh-t. It looks to me like the best part of you ran down the crack of your mama's ass and ended up as a brown stain on the mattress. I think you've been cheated!"
3. Gunnery Sgt. Hartman: "I bet you're the kind of guy that would f-ck a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around. I'll be watching you."
4. Gunnery Sgt. Hartman: "You goddamn communist heathen, you had best sound off that you love the Virgin Mary, or I'm gonna stomp your guts out! Now you DO love the Virgin Mary, don't you?"
5. Gunnery Sgt. Hartman: "That's enough! Get on your feet. Pvt. Pyle you had best square your ass away and start sh-tting me Tiffany cufflinks or I will definitely f-ck you up!"
6. Gunnery Sgt. Hartman: "Are you quitting on me? Well, are you? Then quit, you slimy f-cking walrus-looking piece of sh-t! Get the f-ck off of my obstacle! Get the f-ck down off of my obstacle! NOW! MOVE IT! Or I'm going to rip your balls off, so you cannot contaminate the rest of the world! I will motivate you, Pvt. Pyle, EVEN IF IT SHORT-D-CKS EVERY CANNIBAL ON THE CONGO!"
7. Gunnery Sgt. Hartman: "I'm asking the f-cking questions here, Pvt.! Do you understand?"
Pvt. Cowboy: "Sir, yes, sir."
Gunnery Sgt. Hartman: "Well, thank you very much! Can I be in charge for a while?"
8. Gunnery Sgt. Hartman: "Were you born a fat, slimy, scumbag puke piece o' sh-t, Pvt. Pyle, or did you have to work on it?"
9. Gunnery Sgt. Hartman: "If it wasn't for d-ckheads like you, there wouldn't be any thievery in this world, would there?"
10. Gunnery Sgt. Hartman: "Holy Jesus! What is that? What the f-ck is that?! What is that, Pvt. Pyle?!"
Pvt. Pyle: "Sir, a jelly doughnut, sir!"
Gunnery Sgt. Hartman: "A jelly doughnut?"
11. Gunnery Sgt. Hartman: "You forget your f-ckin' name? 0300. Infantry. You made it."
12. Unnamed Colonel in Vietnam: "Son, all I've ever asked of my Marines is that they obey my orders as they would the word of God. We are here to help the Viet-namese, because inside every gook there is an American trying to get out. It's a hardball world, son. We've just got to keep our heads until this peace craze blows over."
13. Animal Mother: "You talk the talk. Do you walk the walk?"