Being deployed on a FOB in the military means you don’t have much interaction with the outside world. Although news travels fast here in the states, it can roll in at a snail’s pace while you’re manning your area of observance.
During this time, regular mail becomes a very precious commodity.
But once that beautiful armored mail truck comes rolling on in, your emotions can roller coaster as you realize you just don’t know what you’re going to be opening up in those care packages or letters. #jodiisreal
So check out how important mail drops to those serving in the military.
1. After weeks of not getting any care packages or letters from home, a rumor spreads throughout the FOB that the mail truck is finally inbound.
We hope it’s true. (Images via Giphy)
2. Then a miracle occurs. Everyone in the FOB hears the roaring of the truck’s diesel engines entering the vehicle control point. The rumors must be true.
Do you see it? (Images via Giphy)
3. The mail truck pulls up and starts unloading all the packages and letters from its cargo bay. The platoon’s corporals yell out the names addressed on them one-by-one — you’re just waiting.
Any second now. (Images via Giphy)
4. Your name finally gets called! But you don’t want to look too happy because some of your boys haven’t gotten sh*t yet.
Hold the happiness back just a little longer. (Images via Giphy)
5. They continue to call your name over and over again. Somebody back home must love you.
Thanks, grandma. (Images via Giphy)
6. You find a quiet little corner, rip open your packages, and conduct a detailed inventory of your new stuff.
Yes! Cigarettes, Redbull, and dip! (Images via Giphy)
7. While you’re so excited to have all these new goodies, you noticed one of your buddies didn’t get sh*t this time around.
What a dilemma. (Images via Giphy)
8. You know what you must now do. First, you quietly pocket the stuff you want to keep, then dump the rest into a community bin for your platoon to share.
Your heroic slow clap. (Images via Giphy)
9. You look over to your platoon sergeant and he gives you his seal of approval.
What were your mail drops like? Comment below.