Heading out to the field to conduct a training operation sounds like a whole lot of fun when it’s your first time out. But as we all know, the majority of the time nothing happens as originally planned, and things tend to fall apart just as soon as they start.
Although tactical training is super important, field ops usually consist of nothing more than a lot of hiking, shooting some blanks and eating MREs.
No matter how many times you’ve gone out to the field in your career, you’ll always remember your first time above the rest.
1. When you show up at the armory to draw your weapon, all motivated at 0500, and you’re the only one there.
Hello? (Images via Giphy)
2. What it feels like riding on a bumpy road in the back of a 7-ton heading out to the field.
Are we there yet? (Images via Giphy)
3. How you feel when you get out of that damned truck.
That’s not good. (Images via Giphy)
4. After you threw up, you told your squad you must have drunk way too much beer last night. They call you a …
No one believes you. (Images via Giphy)
5. Then you wait for the rest of the platoon to show up.
Come on people. (Images via Giphy)
6. They finally show up, but no one appears to be as motivated as you.
Let’s go! (Images via Giphy)
7. But then you just continue to wait some more.
What are we waiting for? (Images via Giphy)
8. Once the orders come down to start training, your squad is instructed capture and take control of a small MOUT town. Everyone now gets into position.
(Images via Giphy)
9. You’re told to take the training seriously as if you’re in a real war zone. But we never do, especially when you have to simulate clearing a room, shooting your weapon or tossing a grenade.
No bad guys here. (Images via Giphy)
10. Then once you completed that evolution, you loaded your lip with dip or sparked up a smoke. Face it, you have nothing else to do… again.
I hope he doesn’t run out. (Images via Giphy)
11. When chow comes around, the MREs are passed out, and you get the one no one wants.
Yew! (Images via Giphy)
12. After a long day of waiting in the hot sun, it’s getting cold, and you realized you forgot to pack your sleeping bag.
What a boot mistake. (Images via Giphy)
13. After a few hours of lying down trying to catch some shut-eye, your fireteam leader wakes you to stand watch.
But we’re out in the field, Cpl. (Images via Giphy)
14. You arrive at your post watch, and you just stand there in the pitch black. Then it starts to rain, but at least you were prepared for that.
Only four more days left. (Images via Giphy)What was your first field op like? Comment below.