23 ridiculously long military acronyms (and what they mean)
The military is notorious for using acronyms and abbreviations, and here are 23 of them that approach YGTBSM status:
1. AARDACONUS – Army Air Reconnaissance for Damage Assessment in the Continental United States
2. ADCOMSUBORDCOMPHIBSPAC – Administrative Command, Amphibious Forces, Pacific Fleet Subordinate Command (US Navy)
3. ARCCbtWMD – Army Council for Combating Weapons of Mass Destruction
4. ASTAMIDS – Airborne Standoff Minefield Detection System
5. CASTFOREM – Combined Arms and Support Task Force Evaluation Model
6. COMNAVAIRSYSCOM – Commander, Naval Air Systems Command
7. DEFREMANEDCEN – Defense Resources Management Education Center
8. FLEASWTRACENPAC – Fleet Anti-Submarine Warfare Training Center – Pacific
9. HERCULES – Heavy Equipment Recovery Combat Utility Lift and Evacuation System (pictured below being loaded on to a C-17)
10. HELANTISUBRON5 – Helicopter Anti-Submarine Squadron Five
11. HRCCIOSPB – Human Resources Command Chief Information Office Strategic Planning Branch
12. INCONMOVREP – Intra?Continental United States Movement Report
13. MARCORSYSCOM – Marine Corps Systems Command
14. MILPERSIMS – Military Personnel Information System
15. MOBAALOCO – Mobilization Active Army locator
16. NAVCOMTELSTA ASCOMM DET WHIDBEY – Naval Computer and Telecommunication Station, Antisubmarine Warfare Communications Center Detachment Whidbey Island
17. NAVEODTECHDIV – Naval Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technology Division
18. POPNAMRAD – Policies, Organizations, and Procedures in Non?atomic Military Research and Development
19. Prime BEEF – Prime Base Engineer Emergency Force. Pictured below, members of the U.S. Air Force 577th Expeditionary Prime Base Engineer Emergency Force Squadron constructs a dome shelter on Camp Marmal, Afghanistan.
20. RED HORSE – Rapid Engineers Deployable Heavy Operations Repair Squadron, Engineers
21. SINCGARS – Single-Channel Ground and Airborne Radio System
22. SLAMRAAM – Surface Launched Advanced Medium Range Air to Air Missile.
23. USAADACENFB – United States Army Air Defense Artillery Center, Fort Bliss
These are the military traditions for deployed troops celebrating Thanksgiving
While you're deployed, weekends aren't really a thing — neither are most holidays. Thanksgiving, however, is a moment when the military slows down.
Forget multitasking, this Navy squadron has only one mission — rescue people
The Navy has an entire squadron for search and rescue, and it is the only squadron in the Navy that has an advance life-support helicopter platform.
How the Coast Guard intercepts half a million pounds of cocaine
For the last couple decades, the Coast Guard has pushed out further, taking more aggressive stabs at the flow of drugs that make their way into the U.S.
More remains of Special Forces soldier found in Niger
The Department of Defense announced that military investigators found additional remains that they have positively ID'd as Sgt. La David T. Johnson.
'Butcher of of Bosnia' sentenced to life in prison for genocide
"The Butcher of Bosnia" was handed a life sentence on November 22nd, 2017, for war crimes and the slaughter of 8,000 men and young children.
New engravings on the USMC War Memorial honor Iraq and Afghanistan Marines
On Nov. 22, the U.S. Marine Corps War Memorial was updated to include Afghanistan and Iraq in the list of campaigns that runs along the memorial's base.
ISIS may focus on a virtual caliphate after losing real-world war
As the Islamic State loses the in real life war they've waged against the world, they've moved their game online- waging war in the virtual world.
Everything you need to know about Zimbabwe's ousted dictator
The dictator of Zimbabwe announced his resignation on Nov. 21, 2017 after the county's army took of the capital and family, forcing the resignation.
Watch this Marine get pinned by his 3-year-old son
Watch this adorable little boy steal into the hearts of all the Marines and civilians present as he promotes his dad and pins on his promoted rank.