The insane Vietnam War adventures of legendary sniper Carlos Hathcock
Gunnery Sgt. Carlos Hathcock is a Marine Corps legend and one of the most lethal snipers in history. His incredible true-life war stories are the stuff Hollywood movies are made of. In this episode of the We Are The Mighty podcast we talk about his sniper duels, that time he crawled two miles to kill a Vietnamese general, and more. Don't miss this episode of a real American badass.
- Logan Nye: Army veteran and associate editor
- Blake Stilwell: Air Force veteran and managing editor
- Tracy Woodward: Benevolent smartass and Social Media coordinator
- Orvelin Valle (AKA O.V.): Navy veteran and Social Media editor
Selected links and show notes from the episode
- This Marine was the 'American Sniper' of the Vietnam War
- [2:00] Carlos Hathcock breaks longest sniper shot with a machine gun
- [3:00] Billy Dixon had the longest distance shot at 1,538 yards until Hathock shattered his record.
- [4:00] Bullet physics explained by Logan Nye.
- [6:50] The story of the Apache, the Vietnamese sniper who captured and tortured American troops.
- [9:40] The legend of the white feather.
- [11:30] Hathcock's upbringing.
- [14:30] Faceoff with the Cobra, the Vietnamese sniper contracted to hunt and kill Hathcock.
- [32:00] Sniper kill record during the Vietnam War.
- [26:00] The casualty differences between Vietnam and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- [25:50] That time Hathcock crawled two miles to kill an enemy officer.
- [30:00] The five day engagement against a newly minted Vietnamese unit.
- [35:40] The role of a sniper spotter.
Music licensed by Jingle Punks
- Sniper Fight-JP
- Jimi Jingle Thing-JP
- Heavy Drivers-JP