Sebastian Junger talks war, vet reintegration, and what's wrong with America
New York Times bestselling author Sebastian Junger dropped by We Are The Mighty to discuss his latest book “Tribe.”
Here’s what the publisher says about the book:
Through combining history, psychology, and anthropology, “Tribe” explores what we can learn from tribal societies about loyalty, belonging, and the eternal human quest for meaning. It explains the irony that—for many veterans as well as civilians—war feels better than peace, adversity can turn out to be a blessing, and disasters are sometimes remembered more fondly than weddings or tropical vacations. “Tribe” explains why we are stronger when we come together, and how that can be achieved even in today’s divided world.
- Logan Nye: Army veteran and WATM Associate Editor
- Blake Stilwell: Air Force veteran and WATM Managing Editor
Selected links and show notes from the episode
- Sebastian Junger’s new book “Tribe” is nothing short of a lesson for all Americans
- [00:40] Sebastian Junger’s motivations for writing TRIBE.
- [02:05] Why humans are drawn to communal living and tribal affiliation.
- [04:15] Examples of tribalism in modern communities.
- [06:05] How do we live in a modern society and retain some of the cohesion that comes from hardship and adversity.
- [07:15] How mandatory national service could unify America.
- [09:00] How Bowe Bergdahl and the financiers who caused the great recession harmed America.
- [11:05] The difference between war trauma and personal alienation for troops reintegrating into society.
- [14:00] The dangers of over valorization.
- [16:20] Why no one else could have written this book other than Sebastian Junger.
- [20:00] Sebastian Junger clarifies the use of “tribe” as used in his book.
- [23:15] The feelings associated with coming home and leaving for deployment.
- [25:25] What it takes to be accepted into a tribe.
- [26:15] Sebastian Junger’s thought about practicing tribalism.
- This celebrated war correspondent nails the reasons why soldiers miss combat
- Sebastian Junger nails the reason why young men want to go to war
Music licensed by Jingle Punks
- Goal line
- Heavy Drivers